Since my Mother passed away 7 1/2 years ago, I have missed her so much. I think of her every day, and I never know what will trigger a thought of her next. Well, this last Saturday, I decided to make a Reuben Sandwich. I had been wanting to try out this recipe since Christmas (I got the Cookbook for Christmas). I took great care making it. Flipping until it was the perfect grilled toastiness...I don't think that's a word, but to those of you who loved a toasted sandwich, you know what I mean.
You are probably wondering what this all has to do with my Mother. Well, she loved a good Reuben, but I remember only ONCE in our whole lives, her eating one. We were in Chicago when I was probably in Jr.High School, and when we got lunch, my mom got a Reuben. I don't even remember if it was a good one. I remember she had me try it and I hated it.
Well, on Saturday afternoon while I sat and ate mine, I was wishing she was here. I would have had her over and we could talk about life over a fabulous Reuben. This may seem silly, but to me, it would have meant the world.
12 comments:
that doesn't seem silly at all.
and your sandwich looks awesome. :)
I love Reubens. Yours looks delicious. I am sure your mother would have loved it. What you said, it does not seem silly at all. My heart aches for you. That would be so hard. It also makes me realize that I take my mom for granted too much. Thanks for your words, they touched me.
DB
I agree with the others - not silly at all. My heart hurts for you that you can't share the Reuben with your mom. She would be so proud of you and your amazing cooking skills!
That reuben looks so good I think I may have to find a recipe and make it!
I love hearing about your mom - what you remember and even what you wish could've been. Love you!
so sweet and heartbreaking at the same time.
I bet Will and Oliver will now grow up thinking you love Ruebens and remember how you make the toastiest ones! :-)
Heidi~ I don't find your thoughts to be silly at all. I know exactly what you mean. Saturday mornings are when memories of my mom come flooding into my mind. We hung out alot on Saturdays, and I still catch myself wanting to call her to see if she wants to get together.
Your mom would be so proud of the three of you, and all of her beautiful grandchildren. Love you so much. Hope to see you and your sisters soon. Miss you three!
Sunita
Oh Heidi-ho...
First of all, that picture looks better than the one in Williams Sonoma! It looks amazing.
I remember her sitting at the kitchen table in Japan and us three lining up to taste Cottage Cheese since it was almost impossible to get over there, but somehow, she'd found it. She was saying how she loved cottage cheese, but I hated it that day...but later loving it!
You and Mommy were always such good friends. Bek and I sometimes laugh about how Mommy thought you were pretty much perfect...she even told Bek once that she was afraid you would die young because you were such an unusually kind and wonderful person...which you are...but such a terrible thought! She was a funny lady! Funny, I'm pretty sure she thought I'd live forever. I wonder what that means. :)
I miss her too...if you ever want to eat Ruebens and talk about life with someone, you can call me! I know I'd be a sad replacement, but I'd do my best to throw out some "Oh honest to pete"s and "Now come on"s. :) Love ya.
Thanks for all the comments, Ladies.
Tam and Sunita, we will have to invite Bek over and maybe all bring our favorite foods, since our Mothers loved different foods, and reminisce.
I love reminiscing about your mother when you write about her. Thanks for sharing. She would be so proud of the Mommies you and Bekah have become, and of the talented lady Tami is as well. Love you!
Heidi, I am trying not to lick my screen...ha ha. I love how much fun you are having with cooking now that you guy are eating at home more!
And your post was so sweet and melencholy too. It is fun to imagine what it would be like to be with Mommy now that we are grown too. We were already her friends but it would have been fun to experience that at another level wouldn't it?
love ya
ps. sorry i never comment! note taken!
Lets plan on it! It would be so fun to be with you three! I will be in touch with you:)
Sunita
I'm laughing reading these comments, adn claire wants to know what I"m laughing a-fore? :)
That Rueben looks delicious. I love Ruebens.
I miss your Mom too. I sometimes wish I could have known her or understood her better when I was younger. For so long, I wasn't really sure she liked me. Now I laugh at my childishness, because I'm pretty sure I make other think the same thing about me, when really I love them and love having them around. I'm silently cheering them on! Your mom was a woman whose wisdom I often reflect upon. And you know what I liked SO MUCH about her? Her books, and how she always had a book for something, and always was ready to lend them out.
Love you,
Carmen
Post a Comment